Metro Schools Winter Weather Contingency Plan
At Metro Schools, we adhere to state education guidelines that permit the implementation of distance learning days in response to adverse weather conditions.Definitions
- Distance Learning: This encompasses educational activities facilitated without the physical presence of teachers and students. It can involve technology-based interactions or educational materials tailored for such occasions.
- Learning Packets: These are educational resources thoughtfully curated by teachers for students to take home, anticipating potential distance learning days. These packets encompass reading materials, worksheets, activities, projects, and more.
- School Devices: Refers to educational tools used by students for learning purposes, including devices like iPads, Chromebooks, and laptops.Winter Weather Plan
Metro Schools may declare a distance learning day under the following conditions:
- When wind chills are projected to be -35 degrees or colder by 6 a.m.
- When snowfall significantly hampers students and staff from commuting to school.
The Executive Director reserves the right to close the school due to inclement weather or unforeseen circumstances, as deemed necessary.
On a distance learning day, students have two options:
1. Engage in online learning via their school devices, interacting with teachers and peers throughout the day, and fulfilling assignments.
2. Independently work on learning packets asynchronously. Students will then review their progress with teachers when they return to school.
The school premises might remain accessible to teachers during a distance learning day, subject to weather-specific evaluations.
It's advisable for families to prepare for inclement weather. Students should take home their school devices and/or learning packets daily, ensuring readiness for potential distance learning days.
At Metro Schools, our priority is to announce "cold weather" closings with sufficient lead time for families to make arrangements for their child(ren) in anticipation of a distance learning day. Some days might be designated as late starts or early dismissals based on weather conditions.
Families are urged to ensure their contact information is up-to-date. In the event of school closures, Metro Schools will promptly communicate via text message or phone call.
For additional information, please feel free to get in touch with the school administration.